a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2006/08/22

What I’m Here For

I usually have a hard time explaining to friends and family precisely what it is that I do. When I was at the D.A.'s office it was a bit easier... most people are somewhat familiar with what prosecutors do (thanks to Law and Order mostly). But what exactly does a communications director do? And once we figure that out, what does a communications director for ISKCON do?

Some think that I'm a P.R. man and that my job is putting a spin on scandals. Others imagine me sitting at the GBC table helping to make epic descisions to rule the Hare Krishna world. And some, I'm sure, think -- as one of my dear friends put it -- I just get paid for being a devotee.

The truth is that at times like this, hanging out in Japanese hotel rooms while "punched in" its sometimes even hard for me to remember what it is that I'm doing here.

Fortunately, Lord Krishna sends reminders. And so it didn't really hit me until the opening session, when I found myself seated in a special section of "delegates" in a huge convention center auditorium. I looked behind me and was stunned: the room was filled with hundreds, possibly thousands of people.



Sitting there, it started to sink in that I'm not here on a holiday or school field trip. This is what I do, this is my job. I am here to come together with other religious leaders, combine resources and ideas, and draft policy that will then be communicated to world leaders and the United Nations in order to stem the forces of war and violence and promote peace. ISKCON has something positive to contribute, and is also benefited by associating with other people of faith who are working towards spiritually informed solutions to the problems of the material world.

As I was handed a headset and given instructions to tune in to various translations being offered, I felt awed by the responsibility. I also felt proud to be here on behalf of Srila Prabhupada. One of my heroes, Srila Prabhupada had the courage to journey west to share Krishna with the rest of the world. He made it clear that he wished to see Krishna consciousness taken seriously by the "intelligent class" of people, world leaders and influential empowered people. Many devotees are working very hard to see that Prabhupada's desire is fulfilled, and it is an honor to assist and serve them.

My mentor, Anuttama Prabhu, gave me priceless advice during my first conference. He told me to always ask myself, in every situation or event, "Why does Krishna want me here? What am I meant to learn?" If I can take that advice to heart, I am confident that the Lord will reveal His plan for me, too. In the mean time, "getting paid to be a devotee" in Japan is a pretty good job to have. :-)

.vbd.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so,

why did u lseave the other site?

:)