a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/01/26

Sick in Bed

Well, its official: I am ill. No, not ill as in the seminal Beastie Boys lp Licensed to Ill (by the way, in the Fight for Your Right video, Adam Horovitz wears a phys. ed. shirt from my high school). I mean, I am seriously sick. No, not Sikh as in a member of the faith tradition founded by Guru Nanak in the 16th century. Whatever, you get my point.

It started the day before yesterday with a soar throat that got progressively more painful. Then yesterday morning I woke up with the distinct feeling that my body had been repeatedly run over by a big Indian TaTa truck. I spent most of the day in bed, oscillating between being unconscious and coughing my throat red.

Determined to get better, I have committed myself to a potent chemical cocktail of Dimetapp, Vitamin C (as opposed to Vitamin-C who sang the mildly annoying Graduation Song), Grapefruit Seed Extract, and chyavanpraash (however you spell it).

Incidentally, for those of you looking for the Krishna conscious purport to all of this, I'm not sure that I'm up to the job. I find that with every cough, drip, and ache, I just identify more with this body. I guess this is also an important part of life in the material world: having to own up to the fact that ultimately this material body is pretty embarassing. Nothing deflates an ego quite like a steady stream of snot dripping from one's nose. Perhaps this is the Good Lord's way of forcing me to slow down, or be humble, or maybe just to take better care of my body.

Today is some mild improvement, but I'm still mainly hanging out in bed (who knew that laptops could actually be used on one's lap) . Hopefully in an hour or so (if I am feeling up to it)I will try to get some work done. And if I get anything accomplished, I guess we can call it Ill Communication.

sniffle,
V

9 comments:

Premavatar das said...

Dude you seem to get sick every 5 minutes. Is it stress related? I think more and more illnesses these days are quite stress related. Either way consider a new health program (no, I don't mean Grey's Anatomy). A new regimen of yoga, pranayama, improved diet and maybe even some health supplements. I am no doc or health expert but it seems you need to take more preventative measures.

Your concerned servant,
Premavatar das

Anonymous said...

its ok. at least you can stay at home.

wait. you're always at home. geez louise.

:P

Vineet said...

^^ Prem: With bedside manner like this, I'm shocked you never considered a career as a pediatrician. :-) Seriously, if I survive this latest illness, I vow to improve my diet, stick with an exercise program, take vitamins, and watch Scrubs.

^ Prag: Don't hate on me because I can hold conference calls in my pajamas. Anyway, who is this Louise and how long have you two been an item? Could those be wedding bells I hear?

Namarasa das said...

"As we go on, we remember, all the times we, had together, and as our lives change, to whatever, we will still be, friend forever."

Vitamin C - shes got saffron colored hair, shes a bramhacharini.

feel better bro, heavy purification.

amul das

Vineet said...

Amul, what happened to your blog?

Premavatar das said...

I thought about becoming a pediatrician...for about 5 minutes. I've heard there are yogas and pranayams that target the immune system. If done daily, it could make a difference. Anyways get well soon.

Namarasa das said...

what do you mean what happened to my blog, i revived that shee!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Premji listens to his Mrs. much, sounds like a regimen only she would or could recommend. ;P
-rdk

Vineet said...

^ Confucius say: "Single girl who crack joke about other people marriage, no find good husband."

;)