a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/01/24

Thinking about Dallas...



Things I will miss about being in Dallas:

  • Amazing prasadam.
  • The breathtaking temple room, blue sky ceiling, and BG Sharma.
  • Radha Kalachandji in Their night dress.
  • Kalachandji’s salad bar, tamarind cooler drink, and cinnamon flavored sweet rice.
  • Hanging out in TKG’s VIP room.
  • Walking down the neat and orderly hallway in front of the temple.
  • Reading the “Wall of Fame” articles.
  • Bhaktimarga Swami and his welcoming circle kirtans.
  • The hospitality of devotees like Ross prabhu and Nityananda Rama prabhu.
  • Pre-mangal arati slumber party with Damodar.
  • Feeling like part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Things I will not miss about being in Dallas:

  • Being away from my family.
  • Feeling compelled to watch TV just because there was one in my hotel room.
  • The ghetto Howard Johnson dresser drawers that broke.
  • Meetings that had no specified end-time, and concluded only when other meetings started.
  • Not being able to get through a meal without getting drawn into conversations.
  • 5:30 conference calls during japa.
  • The loneliness that crept in when I wasn’t expecting it.
  • Damodar's crazy ghost katha.
  • Making comments that started controversies.
  • Feeling like the youngest and most liberal one at the meetings.
  • Having to confront my anarthas on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice that you get to travel and meet different devotees. Re hotel TV: since I so rarely stay in hotels, I feel little guilt when I do flip on the tube, esp since I almost exclusively watch cartoons.

Anonymous said...

I loved your description about Dallas; I think you've managed to capture the mood.

Anonymous said...

I just love the association of the Dallas Devotees.

I live in Dallas and LOVE
Sri Sri Radha Kalachandji!

-Savitri