a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/07/09

Don't Mess With Texas Day 1: Go West

Right now it is almost 1:30 am in Houston, Texas -- For the past four days, I've been here in Texas, trying to assist B.B. Govinda Swami's awareness and fundraising campaign for the crisis in Kazakhstan. Despite the fact that it has meant being away from home, and that I have had to tolerate the meanest, hungriest mosquitoes I've tangled with in a long time, I've really loved my time here. No big adventures or hilarious stories -- but it has been a fun, lively, busy, and interesting trip. Thought I'd share some highlights, day by day...

(this is all back posting, so bear with me.)

Don't Mess With Texas Day 1:
"Go West" (7/5/07)

I had hardly finished zipping up my suitcase when we jumped in the car; Krsangi dropped me off at Laguardia airport, making perfect time. After checking in, I readied myself for those precious few minutes (usually a solid half-hour) where you sit at the gate, before your flight begins boarding. For some reason, I relish that time. It's like you can use that time to do silly, little luxuries -- like thumb through a Time magazine or fiddle around with your cell phone or munch on an overpriced candy bar and people watch -- without feeling too guilty about it. Usually, any "free time" would have to go to finishing rounds, or dealing with the latest crisis, or dutifully plowing through emails. But somehow, that pre-boarding time at the airport is like a free-pass for spacing out. It's like a little time-out for me, and its one of the weird little things I actually enjoy about flying as much as I do.

No such luck today. Instead, I used all that time touching base with Anuttama Prabhu about the Vrindavan widows story on CNN and how to respond. Anyway, the conversation was good. And while I was sitting in the airport lounge, glued to my cell phone, I noticed all the other people sitting there on a Thursday afternoon, glued to their cell phones. They were talking about things significant to their occupations - about financial statements, and prototypes, and testing the system specs, and earnings reports. In the midst of it all, there I was, discussing the risks and responsibilities facing ISKCON in light of a CNN news story. Suddenly, I had one those "a-ha" moments and realized that I have, possibly, the coolest job in the world.

The flight to Texas was good -- decent seats, minimal delays, and I alternated between chanting rounds, taking naps, and -- thanks to Krsangi's description-defying sandwiches of love and devotion -- eating. These sandwiches were ideal for taking on the flight, loaded with fresh pesto (perfectly flavorful), avocado, lettuce, and Primal Strips (a devotee produced vegan soy "jerky" that we found is a great filler for a chewy tasty sandwich).

I arrived in Dallas late that night, and was picked up by my godbrother Rasaraja Prabhu. As soon as we drove up to the large temple on Gurley, my heart fluttered a bit and I felt the warm familiar feeling of returning home. Not that I have ever lived in Dallas, or even spent that much time there. But still, there's just something about the temple that makes me feel very welcomed. I think it must be the astounding hospitality, attention to detail, and care that TP Nityananda Prabhu and the other devotees there have showered on me in the past when I've visited. They have this uncanny ability to make someone feel like they are the most important person on the planet. Its obvious that these devotees have a deep understanding of what it means to serve Vaisnavas -- or even the pretend variety like me. Whatever the case, they've managed to completely win over my heart.


"Prabhu, where exactly am I staying?" I asked.

"Oh, you will be staying in Gurudeva's quarters."

Gurudeva's quarters?! Hare Krishna! I carried my bags, took a deep breath, and climbed the stairs. Next stop: TKG's territory.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be hard not to squish those pteradactyl-like mosquitos. Or are you allowed to do that?

Anonymous said...

Those Primal Strips sound good!
I occasionally made something similar by microwaving strips of tofu. You have to be careful though, they can easily become tofu cookies of a concrete consistency if cooked for too long!

Anonymous said...

it took me forever to find the vrindavan "windows" story on CNN....until I realized you meant widows...what a difference one letter makes :-) Haribol!!