a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/07/28

Don't Mess With Texas Day 4: Entourage

Final in the Texas trip series... Sorry for the delay!

Don't Mess With Texas Day 4:
"Entourage" (7/8/07)

Every day of my trip to Texas, I was awakened by the sensation of mosquitoes feasting on my body (the same body that I am supposed to know that I am not). Sunday morning, however, the bites were even more stinging because they were accompanied by the realization that this would be my last full day here.

Despite my tiredness from last night's late program I managed to make it to the temple for mangal ara -- er, I mean Greeting of the De-- um, make that Guru Puj--- okay, okay, Bhagavatam class. Govinda Maharaj gave a nice simple class on the verse, and spent the Q & A time telling stories of joining the temple in Buffalo.

Breakfast was upma -- not one of my favorites -- but I spent the time with a nice devotee named Krishna Kripa prabhu and we discussed the history of ISKCON Houston a bit. After that I met with Guru Bhakti Mataji -- an amazing devotee who manages to find time between her full-time responsibilities as a medical doctor, a wife, and a mom to do wonderful service with the media, interfaith community, Hindu community, and other forms of outreach. In fact, she was the main organizer of the benefit dinner last night. Like many of the worshipful Vaisnavas and Vaisnavis I've met here, Guru Bhakti deeply imbibed her guru TKG's mood and desire. I am truly humbled by these souls.

I assisted Govinda Maharaj with a radio call-in show he had to do (it went very well), and then we both walked to the temple for the Sunday Feast program.

Walking in to the temple was such a trip. Govinda Maharaj went in first and I followed close behind, kind of hovering in his wake. As soon as the devotees saw Maharaj (those who are familiar with who he is) dove to the floor. He went and offered his obeisances to the murti of Srila Prabhupada, and I followed suit, taking the bold step of touching Maharaj's foot lightly to my head afterwards -- just a bit of extra blessings I stole for myself. Thankfully he didn't notice, and we both started walking deeper in to the temple room. As we did more devotees came forward, some with folded palms requesting blessings and others offering words of support for the devotees in Kazakhstan. Flashbulbs went off a few times, as devotee paparazzi quickly snapped photos of the spiritual celebrity. From time to time, Govinda Maharaj would turn to me with a question, or ask me to do something, or just share a comment (sometimes even a joke!) with me.

Maybe it was the fact that we were on TKG's turf, but I couldn't help but think of those pictures and videos of Srila Prabhupada visiting a temple, with an entourage -- usually someone like TKG leading that entourage -- close behind him. I admit it, I felt a dizzying rush thinking of myself in that situation. I'm actually a part of history, I thought to myself, as I let the depth of it sink in.

Then my "wow, this is cool" feeling began to transform into a deeper, more sober realization. Like the members of an entourage surrounding a celebrity get to enjoy access into certain exclusive areas, the members of a devotional entourage can get passes into Krishna's exclusive circles. Staying in the association of devotees -- especially devotees whom we regard as senior practitioners of bhakti -- means that we have a chance to go back to Godhead on the strength of that association.

Of course, most members of an entourage are famously un-famous themselves; their sole claim to fame is who they know. In the case of Vaisnavas, we also know that we have no position ourselves, that our only hope is who we know... that if we just muster up enough faith and sincerity to stay in the sanga, we will be carried by the power of their bhakti.

In any event, the Sunday Feast program went very nicely. The humidity, whirling fans, marble, and pressed bodies evoked memories of Sunday Feasts I've experienced in India.

Maharaj's kirtan was especially fiery and I danced more wildly then I've danced in a long time. The final appeal went well -- fearing that this would be my last opportunity to perform this service, I put all my energy and emotion into my part. I'm not sure if everyone appreciated it, but many devotees came forward and the Dallas and Houston youth groups even got into a "bidding war" to try to outdo one another's donations to the Kazakhstan fund.

I barely caught my breath and ate a few grains of rice before I was pulled in to a fired-up Youth Kirtan. Like a pied piper, Maharaj expertly led and choreographed one of the most invigorating, exciting, inviting, and enjoyable kirtans I've ever experienced. After chanting Hare Krishna a lot, Govinda Maharaj started to even throw in Bhagavad Gita verses (and translations)!

Finally, we ended up at the house where Govinda Swami was staying. I helped him catalog all the contributions, and then said my goodbyes. Maharaj -- so personal and caring -- gave me a big bear hug and emphasized his appreciation of my service, and how much he hoped we would see each other again in Toronto. It was quite moving, and (although undeserving) I was touched by Maharaj's gratitude and encouragement. Its an important thing to be recognized for your work, and Maharaj made me feel valued, noticed, and loved.

That night, I crashed out at a godbrother's simple but devotional apartment, and landed up at the airport early the next morning.

The exhaustion of the last few days hit me hard, and I slept most of the flight home. I woke up only as my plane was beginning its descent to New York's Laguardia airport, surprised (and perhaps a bit disappointed) not to find a new mosquito bite.


No comments: