a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/06/04

Think for yourself?

A comment on my previous blog post about what it means to have a relationship with a spiritual master, raised some interesting challenges. Calling him or herself "Shunyavadin" (transl.: "voidist" or, literally, "follower of zero"), a commenter felt the need to call me out on my "childish" worship of "an imaginary friend."

I have no interest in turning a blade of grass into some online debate forum (so, please -- mayavadis, rtviks, racists, fanatics, etc. etc. -- don't waste your time or mine; you'll just be deleted). But still, I wanted to share this exchange with readers, in case they found it helpful in dealing with similar challenges.

1. The comment:

Worshiping a deity or guru keeps one immature.

"Would I be doing or saying this if Maharaj was standing and watching me or listening to me?" This is like saying, "Would my mother let me do this if she was watching me?"

Have you not grown up enough to know whether something is right or wrong? Can you not think for your self?

To believe in a god is to believe in an imaginary friend. Are you not mature enough to discard this childish practice and rely on your own initiative? Or does the thought that you're all alone in this world scare you? Grow up!

Be a light unto your self and no longer be an immature slave!

Shunyavadin.


2. My reply:

I can't say that I agree. What you fail to realize is that bhakti - directed towards God Himself or to His dear devotees and saintly personalities - is motivated not by fear, but by love.

To ask "would I be doing this if Maharaj were standing here?" is not a symptom of moral immaturity or an inability to think for oneself; it is an expression of gratitude, humility, and love. It is taking inspiration and guidance from one who sets the example, and trying to apply that inspiration in one's life. That doesn't make someone weak or childish -- it makes them honest.

Besides, looking at your words a little more closely, I can't help but notice an arrogant double-standard at work:

"Worshiping a deity or guru keeps one immature."

(But accepting what *I* say as Absolute Truth is mature and reasonable.)

"Have you not grown up enough to know whether something is right or wrong?"

(But I'm telling you that worshipping a personal God or turning to the guidance of a guru is wrong, and following my path is right.)

"Can you not think for your self?"

(But thinking for yourself must result in you coming to the same conclusion as I do, or else I will call you immature and childish.)

"To believe in a god is to believe in an imaginary friend."

(Because I said so.)

"Are you not mature enough to discard this childish practice and rely on your own initiative?"

(Relying on your own initiative means accepting whatever I tell you. If, however, you rely on your own initiative and choose to engage in the practice of bhakti then I will call it childish and dismiss it.)

"Or does the thought that you're all alone in this world scare you?"

(Follow me so that we can be 'alone' together.)

"Grow up!"

(Be like me.)

"Be a light unto your self..."

(Be like me.)

"...and no longer be an immature slave!"

(Except to me and my 'enlightened' and 'grown up' ideas)

So, lets see if we have this straight. I should make my own decisions, rely on my own initiative, and be free -- except if that self-initiative and freewill lead me to conclude that there is a Supreme Person and I want to know and love Him?

I should grow up and think for myself -- so long as I think in the exact same way you do?

Sorry, Shunya... I'm just not buying it.

Vyenkata Bhatta dasa.

5 comments:

Sita-pati das said...

hahaha! Buena! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Vineet Chander,

Sorry to have come across as arrogant. I didn't mean to be. I admit my words were a little harsh, and very probably misplaced (this being YOUR blog and all!). I merely wanted to stir you up a bit and for that I appologize.
I don't believe in a god. I DO find the idea of serving a super-being as rather ridiculous, but you're right: That's my opinion. I shouldn't have expressed my opinion, especially here. I'm sorry. Keep at your blog. I do actually find your writing very interesting, even if I don't agree with it!
All hail the mighty Zero!

Shunyavadin

Anonymous said...

you can call me yogi-bhajan!

Anonymous said...

please resume your realizations of HH RNS's visit to NY and i guess DC. i think we've had enough of this shunyavad talk.

the concept of shunyavad is very fearful.

Anonymous said...

It's not so much that worshipping an imaginary friend is a big deal, it's that you are a mouthpiece for an organization that has destroyed so many lives. Including mine. How many years are you going to spend as an apologist for child and woman abusers?

-an ex-devotee and old friend