a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/05/24

Not a fashion

A spiritual master is not a fashion, that "Oh, I should have a spiritual master." People after fashion. No. One must be very much inquisitive to know what is the highest perfection of life. If one is actually inquisitive to understand about the highest perfectional stage of our life, then he should search after a spiritual master.

~ His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada;
lecture in New Vrindavan, May 22, 1969

Thirty-eight years -- to the date -- after Srila Prabhupada spoke those words, Krsangi and I sat in a SoHo yoga studio, along with about 149 other people, eagerly awaiting the arrival of Radhanath Swami, our guru maharaj who is visiting for a few days.

Krsangi later told me that she had an interesting episode at the program. She had been sitting next to an NYU student who is new to Krishna consciousness. When she told him that Radhanath Swami was her guru and that she only got to see him once or twice a year, he was flabbergasted. "But then, how do you actually learn from him?" She tried her best to explain, but it made her really think about our relationship with Radhanath Maharaj and how we can make sure we are not just following him as a "fashion" statement.

"...how do you actually learn from him?"

Its a good question, and sitting at the dining table last night, Krsangi, Mom, and I tried to answer it. Here's some of what we came up with:
  • Our relationship with Maharaj is based on following his instructions, the most important of which is to chant 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra every day.
  • To the extent that we are trying to imbibe the mood of a saragrahi vaisnava - living with humility, tolerance, forgiveness, appreciation, empathy, service - to that extent we are associating with Radhanath Maharaj. (The converse is true too)
  • The guru's instructions need not always be specific to the details of disciple's situation. Classes delivered or lessons imparted in a general setting (like a Srimad Bhagavatm lecture) can be just as meaningful and life-transformative as a personal one-on-one instruction.
  • If we are actually making spiritual advancement, then our relationship with our guru should be going deeper (though not necessarily more physical association).
  • Radhanath Maharaj wants us to serve and take shelter of the mature, caring, and dedicated devotees (like Yajna Purusa prabhu, for instance) who are able to counsel us on the day-to-day process of trying to make spiritual advancement. We must develop the faith to see our spiritual master's instructions in these devotees. And Maharaj is most happy when we are genuinely trying to be "servants of the servants."
  • Although everything above is true, it must never become an excuse for complacency. The instruction (vani) of the spiritual master is more important, but the physical presence (vapuh) should not be artificially neglected. We are personalists and should appreciate that physical proximity is a gift to be appreciated. So we should be very enthusiastic about hearing from Maharaj, seeing him, spending time with him, and most of all serving him, when Krishna gives us such an opportunity.
Other thoughts? Leave a comment.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HH BTSwami exhorted his future disciples at the first of many initiation ceremonies in 2005 to not become "guru-drohi" (or someone who can bring the guru down). He didnt want disciples who would only be guru-conscious when the guru is present before them and then go back to their nefarious ways after he left. He told them that if any of those candidates had that kind of mentality to get up out of the ceremony right then and there. (fortunately, no one didnt.) Luckily we do have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of many senior devotees (SP disciples and granddisciples) who are still talking the talk and walking the walk, serving enthusiastically and inspiring all of us to take up spiritual life.

Unknown said...

What is the difference between someone sincerely studying Srila Prabhupada's books and putting them into practise...and someone who is formally initiated by a Guru?

I have also often wondered about the Guru-shishya relationship if a Guru has thousands of disciples, most of whose names he might not remember and will not even be able to correspond with or monitor their spiritual progress. I don't fully understand the point of that.

Maybe there is a transcendental aspect to the initiation ceremony that is significant?

Clarifications?

Neville

Amol108 said...

Wow. wonderful notes - Thank you. So much to learn from you all

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog and I must say, this entry really got me thinking. From now on whatever I'm doing, whether in my spiritual life, family life, or work life, I'll always ask myself, "Would I be doing or saying this if Maharaj was standing and watching me or listening to me?"

Shyama Kishori dd

Anonymous said...

I would love to be a fly on your dinner table. Thank you for sharing your realizations. I have tried to answer this question before, but have never come up with an adequate answer. Your thoughts on the matter are comprehensive and satisfying.

Gauri Priya dd (formerly known as "Geets")

Anonymous said...

Worshiping a deity or guru keeps one immature.
"Would I be doing or saying this if Maharaj was standing and watching me or listening to me?" This is like saying, "Would my mother let me do this if she was watching me?"
Have you not grown up enough to know whether something is right or wrong? Can you not think for your self?
To believe in a god is to believe in an imaginary friend. Are you not mature enough to discard this childish practice and rely on your own initiative? Or does the thought that you're all alone in this world scare you? Grow up!
Be a light unto your self and no longer be an immature slave!

Shunyavadin.

Vineet said...

^ I can't say that I agree. What you seem to not realize is that bhakti - directed towards God Himself or to His dear devotees and saintly personalities - is motivated not by fear, but by love.
To ask "would I be doing this if Maharaj were standing here?" is not a symptom of moral immaturity or an inability to think for oneself; it is an expression of gratitude, humility, and love. It is taking inspiration and guidance from one who sets the example, and trying to apply that inspiration in one's life. That doesn't make someone weak or childish -- it makes them honest.

Besides, looking at your words a little more closely, I can't help but notice an arrogant double-standard at work:

"Worshiping a deity or guru keeps one immature."

(But accepting what *I* say as Absolute Truth is mature and reasonable.)

"Have you not grown up enough to know whether something is right or wrong?"

(But I'm telling you that worshipping a personal God or turning to the guidance of a guru is wrong, and following my path is right.)

"Can you not think for your self?"

(But thinking for yourself must result in you coming to the same conclusion as I do, or else I will call you immature and childish.)

"To believe in a god is to believe in an imaginary friend."

(Because I said so.)

"Are you not mature enough to discard this childish practice and rely on your own initiative?"

(Relying on your own initiative means accepting whatever I tell you. If, however, you rely on your own initiative and choose to enagage in the practice of bhakti then I will call it childish and dismiss it.)

"Or does the thought that you're all alone in this world scare you?"

(Follow me so that we can be 'alone' together.)

"Grow up!"

(Be like me.)

"Be a light unto your self..."

(Be like me.)

"...and no longer be an immature slave!"

(Except to me and my 'enlightened' and 'grown up' ideas)

So, lets see if we have this straight. I should make my own decisions, rely on my own initiative, and be free -- except if that self-initiative and freewill lead me too conclude that there is a Supreme Person and I want to know and love Him? I should grow up and think for myself -- so long as I think in the exact same way you do?

Sorry, Shunya... I'm just not buying it.