a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/05/22

Krishna Cares!


Thanks to a delay on the F train, we are running late. By the time we arrive at Central Park, the crowds are swelling -- we started to see people wearing AIDS Walk NY t-shirts even on the train -- and I worry that we won't be able t0 find the rest of our team. My apprehension is unnecessary: our teammates are already wearing their bright orange Krishna Cares t-shirts, and are pretty hard to miss even in this crowd. With only a few minutes before the walk is to begin, Krsangi and I quickly transform into orange people as well.

We start to walk, except this walking is more like allowing yourself to be moved along in a tidal wave of bodies . The experience feels like a cross between a Ratha Yatra and Disney World the day a new ride opens. But soon the walkers are giving each other space, and everyone is going at whatever pace they feel comfortable with.

I feel a buzz seeing my devotee friends walking alongside (and in front of and behind) me -- unified in purpose and garb, the black letters against the orange fabric unabashedly spelling out "Krishna Cares" and "Hare Krishna - chant and be happy." The buzz blossoms into a thrill when AIDS Walk volunteers start to cheer us on by shouting out our team name and flashing us the "raise the roof" mudra. "Krishna cares!" they shout, and suddenly its not just our team-name; its a declaration that the Supreme Lord really does care for all of His children.

We walk-- some chanting on beads, others engaged in light conversations. At the head of our party, Ari happily bounces and bobs about while carrying a beautiful "Krishna Cares" sign. He looks like he will hardly break a sweat during the 6 mile walk, and I appreciate (and envy) his enthusiasm.

I originally thought it'd be nice for us to just walk like everyone else and not "demand" special attention by doing kirtan. But after walking like this for some time, I begin to grow tired of just shuffling along, and experience a need to chant the Holy Names. Its not an artificial, calculated, ploy; it is a real desire to chant and I start to feel it from the pit of my stomach. Apparently, others do too, and so we quickly devise a plan. Since none of us thought to bring instruments, our only musical accompaniment is the clapping of our hands. We try chanting a basic melody in unison. Our voices are loud but unsure, slightly off-key but brimming with sincerity.

We chant a few collective refrains and then fade out, resigned that there isn't much we can do without mrdangas and kartals. But then Geeta suggests a different tune. It is a well-known melody, one that the late Bhakti Tirtha Swami loved to use. In fact, as we spread the word through our team we refer to it that way: "Hey, lets try doing the Bhakti Tirtha Swami tune." I am still doubtful, and tell Geeta as much; she is undaunted, though, and -- surprising us all -- agrees to lead (with a little help from Krsangi and Nisha).

"Hare!" Hare...
"Krishna!" Krishna...

The energy is building; I shake off my doubts and start to smile. Our voices are stronger, and the walkers around us react positively-- some giggle, some cheer, some offer us a thumbs-up gesture. Now I am grinning, ear to ear, running in front of the group to walk backwards and snap photos. Ari is leaping in the air, the sign in his hand not weighing him down in the least. Pradyumna is chanting like an army drill sergeant, dovetailing his frat-house-honed energy in the service of the Holy Name. Nancy claps along, her small gold crucifix resting against the picture of flute-playing Krishna on her blazing orange t-shirt.

At a traffic light now; Geeta is in full force and I am positively giddy. A group of teenage walkers -- two Hispanic guys, a lanky Black girl, a sun-burnt blond -- seem drawn to the chanting, repeating the words as best they hear them. Pradyumna and I help them to listen and follow along, and after a few refrains, I ask the blond girl to lead. She is happy to oblige while her friends cheer her on as if she were on stage at a karaoke bar. Later, another teenage girl sends us a smile (her braces reflecting the sun's rays) and asks me to explain the significance of the mantra while she shoots some video on her camera phone. I tell her that it is a prayer to God, the all-attractive Lord of us all, to please engage us in His service. She likes the answer, and after a thoughtful pause she asks "So, you're helping people become spiritually empowered?" Haribol!

The streets are all blurring into one, the skyscrapers we pass indistinguishable from one another. I am vaguely aware of a soreness in my calves and a callous on the sole of my foot. Still, the Holy Name and the devotees walking along keep me going and I get my second (third?) wind. We are marching along the West side, when temptation strikes: an ice cream vendor is handing out freebies. Our kirtan troop collapses under the weight of the pressure, but soon enough we recover -- many of our soldiers now with a cup of sherbert in hand.

We switch up the tune again and keep chanting. Seeing the energy level dropping a bit, I turn my empty water bottle into a make-believe microphone and invite different devotees to sing into the mic. It is a silly gag, but seems to work in lifting morale. Ari leaps. Pandit twirls. Nicole and her mom are beaming.

"Krishna cares!" volunteers with bullhorns call out approvingly. The walkers, volunteers, and even the passing cars are all happy to see us and appreciate our enthusiasm. For them, we are ambassadors of spirituality and good energy. I think of what the girl with the camera phone said -- helping people become spiritually empowered -- and feel tinges of guilt for having doubted the potency of the Holy Name.

We snake our way back into Central Park and find ourselves before an archway made of balloons. This is it. To go under it is to complete the walk, to succeed in our mission of the day. We hesitate for a bit, and I try to delay the inevitable, try to convince my teammates to stay and do more kirtan at the threshold. I am voted down. And so, with chants on our lips and arms triumphantly raised, we cross over. We complete the walk.

It is only when walking back to the subway station, that I allow myself to feel exhausted.

.vbd.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic! :-) You guys look awesome in the saffron uniforms...

Neville

Anonymous said...

Good on you, Vyenkata Bhatta dasa and everyone who took part in the AIDS walk!
Looking at the photo above though, I can't see any devotees sporting sikha or wearing dhoti. Is it common now in ISKCON for members not to dress like ISKCON used to? I know it's a little shallow, and clothes do not maketh the man (or monk), but that's how I recognise the devotees of Krsna. Also didn't Prabhupada himself recommened dhoti, tilak and sikha for all devotees?

Vineet said...

^ Thanks for your questions, Anonymous prabhu. As you will see from the photo essay in the next post, we had quite a diverse turn-out for the Walk - including our favorite monk, Gadadhara Pandit prabhu (aka NYC Pandit)in full-on saffron dhoti, shaved head and sikha.

In addition, some devotees do keep a sikha (like me) and some did have on tilak (like Yadunath prabhu). However other devotees choose to dress in Western clothes and keep conventional hairstyles.

I think one of the nicest things about representing Krishna consciousness at events like this is that we can help people to understand that devotees of Krishna are -- externally speaking -- not so different than they are. This can help others relate to us and approach the devotees.

I don't think that it is "common for members not to dress like ISKCON used to" per se, but I do feel that devotees tend to present themselves in a way that reflects who they are. In the 1960s and 1970s, most ISKCON devotees were monks and "nuns" -- brahmacaris, brahmacarinis, sannyasis, and "brahmacari-grihastas" who lived as monks did, cloistered from the mainstream society. Today, most ISKCON devotees live, work, and participate in the greater community around them. I think it is natural (and desirable) that some devotees should thus choose to dress and look like the general populace.

I am not aware of any instructions Srila Prabhupada gave insisting upon dhoti, tilak, and sikha for all members. I do remember reading that Prabhupada allowed his grhasta male devotees who were working outside the movement to keep short, contemporary hairstyles ("like a respectable gentleman") instead of a shaved head -- but no dressing like a hippie!

Hridayananda Goswami recently made an interesting point on this subject. He said that in Lord Caitanya's time, when devotees went ouit on harinama, they were dressed *the same way that everyone else was!* In other words, by wearing dhotis and chaddars, etc. they weren't weren't trying to stand out by their clothing -- they were perfectly fitting in. An interesting argument to try going out on harinama in contemporary clothes (or at least have devotees mix it up)...

Ultimately, I think you said it best: "The clothes do not maketh the man." For some devotees (especially the monks) dressing in tradutional Indian garb may help them represent the tradition; for others, they may chooose to represent Krishna by wearing Western clothes.

Personally, I'd like to see Hare Krishna devotees recognized -- regardless of what they are wearing -- by their exemplary behavior, compassion and humility, and genuine expressions of joy on their faces.

Hare Krishna!

Jahnavi said...

Wow what a great thing to do and you described it so vividly - I could almost feel the ache in my legs....and the joy in my heart of course! haribol!

Anonymous said...

From "Anonymous prabhu",

Thanks Vineet. Your answers satisfied my curiosity.
I did read somewhere that Srila Prabhupada remarked that (male) devotees should all wear sikha as it served as a "flag" to identify a monk of Krsna. Wearing dhoti was like a spiritual uniform and also marked a man as a devotee. I guess these remarks were only for ashram dwelling devotees like you said. Do any devotees these days wear dhoti and shave the head if not living in an ashram?

Thanks, Adasajan

Anonymous said...

Well what a nice account! I admit I was skeptical about this AIDS Walk but as VBD pointed out faith in the Holy Name is all that is needed. The account also underlines my feelings that many people miss the Hare Krishnas. They miss us!!! Yes , they consider us important guides and helpers. Yay!!! The Hare Krsnas move out into mainstream society, shed their fears & and shower people with love! Haribol!!!
Ekayani dd from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Vineet said...

^^ Adasajan Prabhu, I think when not living in an ashram environment the choice to shave one's head or exclusively wear dhotis and saris becomes much more of a personal case-by-case judgment call. Many factors, such as employment, relationship with neighbors, personal comfort levels, etc. need to be taken into account.

Personally, after not having one for several years, I decided to keep a sikha again a few years ago because I wanted an external symbol of my affiliation with the Vaisnava faith. Maybe one of these days I'll blog about that decision.

Nice Prabhupada reference about the "uniform" ... of course, there are "undercover officers" in the force as well. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great entry. Your writing just gets better and better. I have to sit down and catch up with all your entries.

Shyama Kishori dd

Anonymous said...

Hey Vyenkata!
I stumbled upon your blog by accident, but as you of course know, there are no accidents. And hell, I've been waiting for long enough to find it. As many people have duly noted, your writing is superb. As an aspiring writer, this only leaves me yet another thing to admire about you. Please do not be so foolish as to waste any energy admiring me. Thank you for capturing the spirit of the event and giving a play by play I can return to and send my parents to as continual recharge for Krsna Cares! And thank you for your graceful responses in your comments section. I find them personally helpful. See you soon! Haribol.