a blade of grass

… he told me that perfection could be learned from nature. be more humble than a blade of grass; more tolerant than a tree. give respect to others freely, without expectation or motive. in such a state of mind, stripped bare of your false pretenses, call out to your Lord eternally.

i’m still working on it …

2007/05/21

twenty minutes away

I can hardly believe that my spiritual master, His Holiness Radhanath Swami, is twenty minutes away from me right now, staying at the home of one of my favorite godbrothers as he often does. I will see him tomorrow at the Ashtanga Yoga Center, where he will give talks on spirituality in the modern age.


Radhanath Swami is an amazing personality. In the 15 or so years that I've "known" him , he has been many things to me: a father, a guide, a teacher, a connection to Krishna and Srila Prabhupada, and even a dear well-wishing friend. Most of all, however, he remains for me an exemplar: proof positive that God consciousness is a beautiful, attainable reality. He embodies what "a blade of grass" actually means.

I feel torn right now. A part of me wants to sit here and write volumes and volumes about him -- who he is, experiences he's been through, instructions he has given me, and memories of learning Krishna consciousness under him that I hope to cherish until my dying breath. But another part of me wants to finish this post as quickly as I can so that I can log off and just enjoy the silence of this bitter-sweet meditation.

Apologies to the reader, but I am pretty sure which part will win. And I think I will now go and sit by the window and ponder the mystery of how twenty minutes can be an eternity. If I look hard enough, I may even be able to see Jersey City from here.

.v.

1 comment:

Bhakti lata said...

Dear VBD,
I sighed when I read this eloquent entry. Kind of wishing that Radhanath Swami was 20 minutes away right now... but also knowing that even if he was, I just feel too self-centered and (what other word?) unqualified to associate with him.

Thank you for your comment you left last week on my entry about Indradyumna Swami... I feel that these two entries resonate.

Bhakti lata